We are studying the evolution of social behavior and sensory systems by measuring the diversification of behavior and morphology across wild populations of zebrafish from India. For example, we are studying the relationships between behavior (aggression, boldness and learning) and the physical habitats in which zebrafish are found, as well as links between visual and chemical and tactile perception. We've also been collaborating with school teachers to bring these studies into the classroom. This work is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation under Grant Nos.1257562 and 0543491.
Some relevant publications:
- Suriyampola PS, Sykes DJ, Shelton DS, Khemka A, Martins EP. 2016. Water flow impacts group behavior in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Behavioral Ecology 28: 94-100. (doi:10.1093/beheco/arw138).
- Suriyampola PS, Shelton DS, Shukla R, Roy T, Bhat A, Martins EP. 2016. Zebrafish social behavior in the wild. Zebrafish 13:1-8.(doi:10.1089/zeb.2015.1159)
- Bhat AM, Greulich MM, Martins, EP. 2015. Behavioral plasticity in response to environmental manipulation among zebrafish (Danio rerio) populations. PLOS One 10(4):e0125097. (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0125097)
- Shelton DS, Price BC, Ocasio KM, Martins EP. 2015. Density and group size influence shoal cohesion, but not coordination in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Journal Comparative Psychology, 129:72-77. (manuscript) (doi:10.1037/a0038382)
- Martins EP, Bhat A. 2014. Population-level personalities in zebrafish: aggression-boldness across but not within populations. Behavioral Ecology 25:368-373 (doi:10.1093/beheco/aru007).
- Vital C, Martins EP. 2013. Socially-central zebrafish influence group behavior more than those on the social periphery. PLOS One 8:355503. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0055503
- Whiteley AR, Bhat A, Martins EP, Mayden RL, Arunachalam M, Uusi-Heikkila S, Ahmed ATA, Shrestha J, Clark M, Stemple D, Bernatchez L. 2011. Population genomics of wild and laboratory zebrafish (Danio rerio). Molecular Ecology 20:4269-4276. doi:10.1111/j.1365-294X/2011.05272.x
- Vital C, Martins EP. 2011. Strain differences in zebrafish social roles and their impact on group task performance. Journal Comparative Psychology 125:278-285. doi:10.1037/a0023906
- Vital, C. and E.P. Martins. 2009. Using graph theory metrics to infer information flow through animal social groups: a computer simulation analysis. Ethology 115:347-355. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0310.2009.01613.x
- Moretz, J.A., E.P. Martins, and B. D. Robison. 2007. The effects of early and adult social environment on zebrafish (Danio rerio) behavior. Environmental Biology of Fishes 80:91-101 (doi:10.1007/s10641-006-9122-4)
- Moretz, J.A., E.P. Martins, and B. D. Robison. 2007. Behavioral syndromes and the evolution of correlated behavior in zebrafish. Behavioral Ecology 18:556-562 (doi:10.1093/beheco/arm011).